WHO WE ARE
The Banco di Napoli is linked to the ancient Neapolitan banks, and is now a non-profit, private, and autonomous institution which pursues social interests and promotes economic and cultural development primarily in the Regions of Southern Italy.
Its history can be traced to the original public, charitable banks founded in Naples between the 16th and the 17th centuries. One of the first charitable institutions to carry out banking activities was the Monte di Pietà, founded in 1539 with the charitable aim of lending money without interest. Later, the Monte also opened a depository for valuables pledged for interest free loans, and this activity was sanctioned by a declaration on the part of the Viceroy in 1584.
Soon, seven other charitable public banking institutions were established: the Sacro Monte e Banco dei Poveri (1563); the Banco Ave Gratia Plena o della Santissima Annunziata (1587); the Banco di Santa Maria del Popolo (1589); the Banco dello Spirito Santo (1590); the Banco di Sant’Eligio (1592); the Banco di San Giacomo e Vittoria (1597); and the Banco del Santissimo Salvatore (1640), which was the only one to operate on a for-profit basis from its inception.
In 1794, Ferdinand IV of Bourbon joined all of the public banks into a single entity called the Banco Nazionale di Napoli, which was not autonomous.
The banks, after successive closures and mergers imposed during the Napoleonic reign, were merged into the Banco delle Due Sicilie in 1809.
With the Unification of Italy in 1861, the Banco delle Due Sicilie took the name Banco di Napoli and began to print the currency for the Italian Kingdom for the next 65 years.
In 1926, it qualified as an Istituto di credito di diritto pubblico and played a major role in the development of the Southern Italian regions.
On July 1, 1991 the Istituto di credito di Diritto Pubblico was the first public bank to apply the new law called the “Legge Amato” which allowed a public bank to become a Limited company (S.p.A.), and it was then called the Istituto Banco di Napoli di Diritto Pubblico conferring to the Banco di Napoli S.p.A. the entirety of its credit operations. After some statutory modifications, the Istituto assumed its current name, the Fondazione Banco di Napoli.
The Foundation makes its economic resources available through the distribution of contributions to help non-profit organizations to carry out public interest initiatives and intervene with activities aimed at making an effective difference in the social-economic and cultural sphere. In particular, it is involved in education, scientific research, technological innovation, along with activities for the promotion of art and culture, the conservation and promotion of cultural heritage, and volunteerism and solidarity.